When I saw Hellboy in the theaters a few years ago, I didn't like it. I couldn't remember why, just that I walked out thinking it wasn't very good. Now with the sequel coming out in a few weeks, I figured I'd give it another shot. Yes, I'll probably watch the sequel since I'm somehow drawn to crappy movies.

Guillermo del Toro is bookending Pan's Labyrinth with the Hellboy's. I'm starting to get a feel for his directing style and enjoying it very much. Since the man is doing the Hobbit movies (yes, it's being split into two), this is a good thing.

Since I have a greater appreciation for del Toro's style now, I liked the look of the original Hellboy. At least, that's what I'm assuming. I remember very few good things about it, so liking the look has to be new. Right?

I still have problems with the plot, however. First, it's an Origin story which automatically knocks a few points off. I know that's not fair since every story has to have a beginning. But when you've only got two hours to tell a complete story arc, way too much time gets wasted on introducing the characters. The leaves a pretty thin plot.

Hellboy makes matters worse by throwing a completely useless love triangle into the mix. The fact that it's combined with a character introduction only makes it worse. Halfway through I completely lost all interest. Maybe it worked in the comics, but that would make sense since you have time to develop everything in that media.

I will say the ending was much better than I remembered. Not enough to save the rest, but good.

Grade: C-



0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home