300 is one of my all-time favorite movies. Sure, the plot is simple - maybe a too simple. And there's no character development to speak of. But when you take that kind of style, wrap it in bloody combat, then deep-fry it in testosterone - you better serve me up seconds.

Another aspect of 300 I like is all the jokes that have saturated the internet. Jokes like this:

Seriously. I've laughed at that for days. What I didn't laugh at was Meet the Spartans.

OK, I get that it's a spoof of 300. But what is it with spoof movies these days? Years ago, they would take a bunch of different plots and mash them into a single story, hopefully with plenty of jokes to go around. But like Walk Hard, Meet the Spartans only spoofs one movie, and follows it scene for scene. Where's the originality in that?

Oh and where are the jokes? Instead of taking the opportunity to make some clever 300 jokes (like the one above), this crapfest just thows in pop culture references. Two hours of them. For instance, I bet you can think of who gets kicked into the bottomless pit.

I will admit that some were funny ("Tonight, we dine at Hooters!!"), but most were awful. I also have to give props to the main actor. His impression of Gerard Butler is classic. But everything else sucks. Skip this one.

Grade: D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home