I can't remember where I heard about Persepolis. It might have been in Harry's weekly DVD column on Ain't It Cool. It looked like an interesting premise, so I thought I'd check it out.

The movie reminded me of the Kite Runner (the book, I haven't seen the movie, yet). Here, a woman tells her story of growing up in Iran. The movie covers several decades and power shifts, so a woman's perspective makes for an interesting story.

The movie is animated in this bizarre style that's more at home in a web comic. You can see it on the poster. I'm not sure if that helped things or not. Had it been live-action, it would have carried a heavier tone, so maybe it's best told this way. Someone remake this into a live action movie and send me a copy so I can find out.

But here's the problem with everything. It wasn't made for me. In fact, it wasn't made for men at all. This is a "woman power" flick. This is Sex in the City set in Tehran...with burqas instead of purses.

Now that doesn't mean it's a bad movie. In fact, it's very well done. Even my cold, dead heart can recognize a good chick flick. It's just that I would have preferred a documentary. Some of you might relate to how Mr. McIshmael can break a woman's heart. Me? Not so much.


Grade: C+ (Add a letter if you don't have a Y Chromosome)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home