When the trailers for Wall-E came out, Disney did a great job of not telling you anything about the story. You knew it was a about a robot on a planet that gets visited by a spaceship. And that's it. Well, you knew one other thing: this was a Pixar movie. And for everyone on the planet, that was enough.

I've been a little down on Pixar, however. Cars was a low point for me and Ratatouille didn't wow me as much as everyone hyped it up. But, Pixar has a solid track record, so I figured it was a safe bet to check this one out.

Wall-E is not only the best Pixar movie ever, it's one of the best Sci-Fi movies and one of the best love stories. Period. I worry about hyping it up too much, but it's about as perfect as you can hope for. This one's taking home an Oscar for sure.

But here's the thing. The movie starts out with two large heapings of guilt. I picture Wall-E pointing and laughing at Al Gore while calling him an amateur. Humans haven't been portrayed this badly since Bambi's mother got shot.

But it all works. Somehow, out of the little genius factory that is Pixar, that guilt gets turned into hope and love. There were women next to me wiping away tears at the end. As luck would have it, I got something stuck in my eye.

There are still a lot of big summer movies left, but I'd bet this one stands out as the best.

Grade: A+


0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home