I'm actually worried about reviewing The Dark Knight so early in its release. So do me a favor. If you haven't seen it and are certain that you are going to, then read this after you watch it. Also, don't read anything else about the movie until you go see it. Deal?

Still reading? Stop it.


Last chance.

OK, so let me throw some numbers at you. The Dark Knight broke the record for the opening day release, the opening IMAX release, and the opening weekend. It's projected to take in over $155M in three days. I went to a Sunday night showing and it was full, so that number might actually be higher.

The numbers are big, the reviews are glowing, and there's even Oscar talk surrounding it. But The Dark Knight suffers from all the hype. And I think I know why.

The types of people who read comic books are used to deep storylines with complex characters. Hollywood doesn't realize this and spits out movies with lots of action and shallow plotlines. Sometimes they turn out ok, but most of the time Hollywood thinks it can put a man in a cape and make bank. The last Spider-Man, Superman Returns, and all the Fantastic Four movies are perfect examples.

Now, we have a comic book movie with a deep plot and complex characters and the people who vote for the Oscars are crapping their pants. Smoke is rising from their ears as they shout "OMG!!! Give them the Little Golden Man!!!!" into their cell phones.

Hopefully, this is a sign of change from Hollywood and we will be spared from crappy superhero movies. Probably not, but I wanted a "cup half full" moment. Let me keep it, you cynical jerk.

Now don't get me wrong. The Dark Knight is the best Batman movie yet. But you've seen better stories. If you rattle off your top five movies, I doubt this one tops them. It might top #6, though.

I love how Nolan and his gang have re-envisioned Batman. This movie fits perfectly with Batman Begins and I can't wait for the third. If- No, when you see this, know that it's awesome, but don't expect perfection.

Grade: A

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home