M. Night Shyamalalala gets a lot of flack these days. Granted, most of it is well deserved, but I think a lot of people are just mad the guy can't make another Sixth Sense. I tend to like his movies because I like watching how he explores themes (no matter how badly he does it). Unbreakable might be my favorite of his but lots of folks hated it. The same with Signs (though I think more people liked that one).


By the time The Village and Lady in the Water came out, I think all the negative press started to get to him. The critic character in Lady in the Water is "Exhibit A." Also, Shyamalan's ego got worse with every movie. The time he spent on screen in his movies directly correlated to how badly they sucked.

With The Happening, the credits inform us that he wrote, directed, and produced it. I have no idea what a Producer does, so I just take that to mean he gave himself some donoughts every morning.

As for directing, the man is still a genius behind the camera. There are scenes that you will never forget. They're the kinds of things spoof movies make fun of. Unfortunately, M. Night has a long ways to go to make up for The Village, so it might be awhile before The Happening gets spoofed.

Now let's get to the writing. M. Night should immeditately burn every pen, pencil, quill, typewriter, and PC in his house. The man should never write again. The dialog in The Happening is so awful, I actually wished George Lucas would have helped out. Maybe it looked good on paper. Maybe he was on drugs. I'm not sure.

The Happening is certianly better than his last two movies, but still not worth catching in the theaters. It's worth a rental, though.


Grade: B-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home