Over and over, I'm convinced Johnny Depp is the greatest actor of our time. Every time I see him, he's playing a character that's different than all the rest. I daresay, here's a star who acts. Gasp.

In Sweeney Todd, Mr Depp does something he's never done before. He sings. And he sings well. Seriously. I went in fully expecting the wailings of a tortured soul trained by Yoko Ono. I expected cats to fall dead in the street. I even expected the TV to say, "Oh hell no" and mute itself.

But none of that happened. The man can sing and Sweeney Todd is worth a watching just for that.

So how's the movie? Well, have you ever watched Phantom of the Opera and wished for fountains of blood? The kind that shows up in Tarantino movies or SNL skits. Sweeney Todd has all that and even gets the color wrong to emphasize the ridiculousness of it all.

At its core, the movie is a Revenge flick. If you've read my other reviews on Revenge flicks, you know how essential I hold the ending. Fortunately, Sweeney Todd gets it right. You know when you order a Guinness and the server brings it to you while it's still cascading? That's the kind of satisfaction I'm talking about. Nothing life-changing. Just contentment.

If you're ever in the mood for a Slasher-Revenge tale set to song, rent it. I enjoyed this one.


Grade: A-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home