Children's movies are a lot like Asian movies. The bulk of them are morality tales. So what happens when you have an Asian Kid's movie? Well, picture Aesop with a big, toothy grin in his grave. You're welcome for that image. More on that later.

I threw CJ7 into my queue because it's a Stephen Chow film. If that name sounds familiar, he's the guy who did Kung Fu Hustle a few years ago. And if you saw that movie, you would be just as interested in CJ7 as I was. However, the two have nothing in common. One's a hilarious kung fu movie and the other is Chinese E.T. - cuter and with better special effects. That's not a bad thing.

Normally in my reviews, I try and avoid spoilers. In fact, I try to avoid talking about the movie as much as possible. Things just seem better that way. But this time I gotta give a little spoiler. You see, CJ7 deals with death. Lots of children's movies have some sort of death scene, but that's my point. Why?

I'm thinking about the movies I grew up with...Bambi, Old Yeller, that stupid dinosaur movie with Littlefoot that still gets me choked up. Even the few modern kids movies I've seen have a major death scene. Do Hollywood Directors have a vail that collects children's tears? Right next to the button that releases the hounds?

Maybe it's just 'cause I'm not a father, but it all seems backwards. You can't tell kids Santa is fake, but any animated mother won't make it ten minutes into the movie.

Oh well, go rent CJ7. If subtitles don't scare you, it's a cute morality tale. With death.

Grade: B+

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home