Anyone know why we had a Speed Racer movie this summer? I don't remember it ever being popular, even when I was a kid. I just watched it because it came on after Robotech. It did have a cool car, so I'll give it that.

There was only one reason I had any interest in seeing Speed Racer... the style. Yes, 100% green screen movies are pretty common now, but this is the Wachowski brothers. They did some pretty amazing things with The Matrix, so I had hopes they could do something unique with this, despite the subject matter.

Before HD, there was one movie that everyone bought to show off their new TV - The Fifth Element. Why? If you needed a reason other than "multi-pass," the movie had the most vibrant colors that even a crappy TV looked good. I'm guessing many LCDs and Plasmas will be showing Speed Racer at the next CES. The movie is gorgeous. If any of you just bought a new HDTV, throw this in to impress your guests. Just be sure to have the sound muted.

OK, the story ain't that bad. Every scene of dialog is just setup for the next race, so while it's not great, there isn't enough plot to make it horrible. Just the look of the tracks will keep most of you interested. It held my tiny brain captive, anyway.

Since I can only recommend this based on its style, there's probably not many of you interested. So when it runs on HBO next year and you're flipping channels. Stay for a bit and watch. Your eyes will thank you.

Grade: C+

2 Comments:

  1. Unknown said...
    Happy to see a movie I can comment on. If you are a three year old boy, the movie speedracer is the absolute ULTIMATE in entertainment. I could have done without the monkey, but I give it a B for visual effects.
    Jason said...
    I have to agree with Shivaughn. My 4 year old boy could watch this movie over and over and over from the moment he wakes up until he falls asleep. And do it again the next day. Trust me, he tried.

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home