Here's another movie I'm just now catching up on. Last summer, Ratatouille scored a crazy 97% freshness on rottentomatoes.com. It's at 95% now, but back then it was the highest rated movie of the summer. Needless to say, I was expecting big things.

I like Pixar movies but I've noticed a shift in their styles. The earlier movies (Toy Story, Monster's Inc, etc) were funny - hilarious, even. Cars and Ratatouille seem more serious. That doesn't make 'em bad, but I do long for the funnier days.

I watched Ratatouille on Blu-Ray and holy crap! The 3D animation is unbelievable. The rodents' fur actually looked like fur instead of a flat fur texture. Also, animators are finally getting water (specifically, wet surfaces) to look right. It's not perfect, but it's getting close.

Overall, I think my expectations for this one were too high. I enjoyed it, and it's certainly a good movie, but it's not 97% good. In my ranking of Pixar movies, I'd place this one just above Cars, my least favorite.

Hmmm, I've run out of things to say. Since I'm sure all of you have seen this, what did you think of it?

Grade: B-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home