Time for a confession. The only Steve McQueen movie I've seen is The Great Escape. But, I've seen that movie like ten times, so that offsets a little of my masculine inadequacy. Right?

Regardless of what you think of my manhood, Bullitt allowed me another notch in my McQueen Belt. Notice the name is spelled odd? You see, McQueen plays a detective named Bullitt, that sounds like "bullet," that detectives use a lot. Get it?

If you know anything about this movie, it's the car chase - probably the most famous car chase in movie history. In fact, all the car chases in today's movies are influenced by this one. Well, that might not be a fact, but everyone you tell that to will believe you.

Anyway, the famous chase takes place through the streets of San Fran. McQueen's driving a Highland Green 1968 Ford Mustang GT 390 Fastback, and the bad guys are in a Tuxedo Black 1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 Magnum. Arrh Arrh Arrh!! (/Tim Allen)

Like you, I've seen a bazillion car chases. But here, there were so many "Dammmmn!!" moments, I lost count. And by the end, I think I audibly told the TV, "That was freakin awesome!" My TV then responded, "F'n A, man. F'n A."

So how's the rest of the movie? Well, it's a 1960s detective drama. It's slower, more deliberate than today's flicks, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Just don't go in expecting a Bourne movie.

But when you boil it all down, you have to see this just for the car chase. Skip to that scene if you have to, but put this one on your list of movies to see before you die.

Grade: B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home