Merry Christmas everybody. I hope in this season love, friendship, and togetherness you didn't leave out that most important of traditions - consumerism. What Would Jesus Buy indeed.

So yeah, this movie is about the American Commercialization (thanks, Scott!) of Christmas. More to the point, it's about how evil it is. The plot follows "Reverend Billy" and his Church of No Shopping as they protest in a bus. I guess the Church of No Originality was already taken.

"Billy" isn't a real person. He's more of a caricature of a televangelist. I found myself wondering what Billy was like with the cameras off since he never seems to drop the act. For example, when the church is performing an exorcism on the sign outside Wal-Mart headquarters, he falls face first into the Hedge of Protection around it. No, literally, he fell into the bushes. In the scene following, he's all depressed that he didn't actually fly into the sign. Bravo for staying in character, Billy. Unless that's really you. Then I'll back away slowly.

You would think that Wal-Mart plays the Great Satan in this church. But you'd be wrong. The Great Satan is Mickey Mouse. Maybe it's because I don't have kids, but when I think of over-consumerism, Disney's not that high on my list. I'm guessing the Church of No Shopping needed a mascot to crucify and since Wal-Mart doesn't have one, the Mouse would have to do.

So the movie is odd, to say the least. So odd that it detracts from its message. Yes, hyper-consumerism is bad, but our economy depends on Black Friday. So like everything in this world, use some wisdom and find the balance.

And may you all have a very Merry Christmas.

Grade: C

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home