Every now and then I come across the "Pfft, You Are a Movie Idiot Unless You've Seen These" list. Inevitably, Dark City is always on it and my ego turns into Eeyore.


But recently, the Director's Cut was released and I finally sat down to watch it. The first character you meet is Jack Bauer. Except he's playing a slightly deranged doctor instead of Chuck Norris' worst nightmare. That caught me off guard a bit, but eventually I settled in.

As I've started watching more movies for this blog, I've been noticing more of the style directors throw into a movie. For example, did you know that in The Fifth Element, there is a full circle in the background of nearly every shot? In Dark City, Alex Proyas puts most of the lighting in the background so that everyone is shadowed or a complete silhouette. Foreground light is used sparringly, mostly to highlight something important or Jennifer Connelley. Can't say I'd do things any different if I were Alex.

One last thought. What's the difference between a "twist" and the big "reveal" at the end? I think they've meant the same thing to me, but after Dark City, I'm going to start paying more attention. The big "reveal" in this is the reason it's on so many of those lists. Maybe it's a twist. I don't know. But it goes on my list of Best.Endings.Ever. Seriously. Watch this movie.

Grade: A


0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home