Of all the Summer Movies I missed this year, Kung Fu Panda is the one I most wanted to see. That probably gives some embarrassing insight into my psyche, but this is the internet where everyone finds a home. Mine just has an extra bouncy castle or two.

Anyway, Kung Fu Panda is Dreamworks' latest entry into the Animated Talking Animal genre. In earlier days, these movies relied heavily on pop culture references. Thankfully, Kung Fu Panda stands on its own and only gets its influences from proper Asian cinema. OK, maybe not proper Asian cinema. But I am talking about good kung fu movies and not something with Steven Segal.

Jack Black plays the titular panda and you'll probably have mixed reactions to that. But what I find hilarious is blatant, comedic arrogance and for that, Jack Black is perfect. There's a line in the beginning where the people were "blinded by his awesomeness." Having Jack Black deliver that line adds just the right amount of awesome to make it funny. Trust me.

Like all good kung fu movies, this one's a pretty simple morality tale of finding your strength within. It tells the tale well, but there was also some good stuff about finding peace in things we can't control. Those scenes went deeper than I expected from a bunch of talking animals, but it's great stuff. The kind you steal and offer to others when they're down.

Kung Fu Panda was everything I hoped it would be from the trailers. Check it out.

Grade: A


0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home